Close-up Photography & Macro
We offer specific macro photography workshops for individuals or small groups (max 5-6) where you can choose from a day to a week where you work with Paul Harcourt Davies, known internationally as the Macromaestro through his books, blogs, lectures and numerous articles. There is a very useful on-line source Learn Macro that Paul runs with Clay Bolt which is a mine of information on all things to do with close-up photography.
We cater for single travellers - our tours and workshops are ideal holidays for one - in fact our close-up & macro workshops and general photographic workshops can be run with just one person at almost anytime of year to suit you, be it from 1 day to a week.
These workshops are based around our home near Orvieto in Umbria where participants will have the opportunity to work in the field and use our fully equipped macro studio with an extensive library. There is always plenty of time for appraisal of the day’s work and help and advice on post-processing in Lightroom.
We cater for all levels from complete beginner to expert, being flexible and able to accommodate your specific interests.
With one of our close-up photography workshops you will leave better equipped to produce images with that ‘wow’ factor in this challenging and fascinating genre whatever your level, from beginner to advanced.
We will cover the following and much more….
- Wide-angle macro - Paul is one of the leading proponents and innovators in this area
- Close-up (macro & extreme macro) techniques and methods - including examples of self-build rigs
- Lighting - all aspects, commercial and home-built set ups, balancing natural and artificial illumination and much more. You take control to get the images you want.
- Image Stacking - for incredible depth of field. You will learn how to do this with a simple rig.... a table in the garden can become your studio or the secrets of hand held stacking. We use Helicon focus and Zerene programs as well as in camera methods that some cameras now offer.
- Composition - the art of designing a picture, shooting for and achieving impact - we help you bring out the create side of your nature and encourage you to see pictures in the simplest of things around you.
- Post Processing - most photographers working with the natural world want to spend as much time in the field as possible. Understandable, but then you accumulate innumerable images that have to be processed, especially if you shoot RAW files. We have worked with Lightroom since it came out and can help you develop efficient, uncluttered ways of working
We make use of species-rich places close to home where you can have the chance to experiment with images you might never have tried before and will be surprised to find are not nearly as difficult as some try to make out…all it takes is a bit of thought and patience.
1 day: 2 people - €300 , 1 person - €240
3 days: 2 people - €750 , 1 person - €650
5 days: 2 people - €1150, 1 person - €950
For groups of 3-6 (maximum) contact us for a price depending on number and duration.
The price includes all tuition/instruction, ground transport during the workshop, lunches and 1 dinner on workshops of 3 / 4 days, 2 dinners on workshops of 5 /6 days. Accommodation is not included but, if you wish we can recommend places for you either in the centre of town or out in the countryside. Flights and insurance not included.
We price our courses by the day to try and be as flexible as possible but we realise no-one wants to sign a blank cheque. When we say 3 days we mean 3 full days of photography and tuition. So you will need 4 nights accommodation…longer if you decide to stay independently.
We suggest that you get to Orvieto the day before any workshop. We can pick you up if you arrive by train or direct and meet you if coming by car- we give you detailed directions - we meet that evening for dinner.
Accommodation: We can recommend this for you according to your preferences be it a 4 star hotel in Orvieto, a simple B&B, a self-catering apartment or an agriturismo in the countryside.
NEW - From spring 2018 we can offer accommodation in our home in a private bedroom with bathroom ensuite. Of course you may extend your stay before or after the workshop, however, as we are out in the countryside it is best if you have your own transport. See our Airbnb link for details and contact us to book directly
Vehicle Hire: We can arrange very reasonable local car hire for you if you arrive by train and wish to explore before or after.
Trains: If you don't fancy driving, Orvieto is well connected by a good, fast train service with direct trains from Rome or Florence
Independence: We are well aware that in this day and age, people like to be independent and can slot in a course with us as part of a longer holiday. If you are exploring before or after we can help you with great places to go.
Eating: Locally there are numerous very good trattorie at very reasonable prices where you can dine (typically 20€-30€ with wine for a 3-course meal). Orvieto has been designated a ‘Slow Food City’ a wonderful movement that keeps local food cultures and traditions alive, started as an alternative to industrialised and fast food!
Contact us for a booking form