Photographic Workshops - on the borders of Tuscany, Umbria & Lazio
Central Italy - close to home
To call what is offered here ‘a workshop’ does it a disservice...but, if we say it is a ‘learning experience’ then that sounds pretentious. What we guarantee is that you will leave us with your appreciation enhanced, tuned to the immense opportunities around you and with a mastery of basic and not-so-basic techniques that enable you to create your own unique images. You will learn how to get the best out of your camera, take larger than life pictures and use wide angles (both fixed focus and zooms) to get pictures with impact.
We cater for single travellers - our tours and workshops are ideal holidays for one - in fact our close-up & macro workshops and general photographic workshops can be run with just one person at almost anytime of year to suit you, be it from 1 day to a week.
Some suggested times to visit and things you might see:
- April/May - for many native orchids and early insects, particularly butterflies.
- May/June - for orchids, flower filled landscapes
- June /July - butterflies and other insects…
- July/August - we suggest you join one of our trips to the Dolomites or the Abruzzo where we get up high and the air is cooler.
- September/October - for landscapes, incredible quality of light, woods and fungi…this is a lovely time to visit our part of central Italy where the weather is very comfortable and there are numerous walks to archaeological sites that hardly anyone knows about. We are always exploring and have a unique knowledge of places off the beaten track.
- November/December - perfect for photographing hilltowns with clear skies and long views. The summer season for visitors is over but there are plenty of local fairs, great food, lovely walks or ambles and panoramic vistas. Autumnal tree colour is superb from late October into November and even December. It is a great time to visit local hilltowns and villages with an endless supply of nooks and crannies for unique images.
1 day: 2 people - €300 , 1 person - €240
3 days: 2 people - €750 , 1 person - €650
5 days: 2 people - €1150, 1 person - €950
For groups of 3-6 (maximum) contact us for a price depending on number and duration.
The price includes all tuition/instruction, ground transport during the workshop, lunches and 1 dinner on workshops of 3 / 4 days, 2 dinners on workshops of 5 /6 days. Accommodation is not included but, if you wish we can recommend places for you either in the centre of town or out in the countryside. Flights and insurance not included.
We price our courses by the day to try and be as flexible as possible but we realise no-one wants to sign a blank cheque. When we say 3 days we mean 3 full days of photography and tuition. So you will need 4 nights accommodation…longer if you decide to stay independently.
We suggest that you get to Orvieto the day before any workshop. We can pick you up if you arrive by train or direct and meet you if coming by car- we give you detailed directions - we meet that evening for dinner.
Accommodation: We can recommend this for you according to your preferences be it a 4 star hotel in Orvieto, a simple B&B, a self-catering apartment or an agriturismo in the countryside.
NEW - From spring 2018 we can offer accommodation in our home in a private bedroom with bathroom ensuite. Of course you may extend your stay before or after the workshop, however, as we are out in the countryside it is best if you have your own transport. See our Airbnb link for details and contact us to book directly
Vehicle Hire: We can arrange very reasonable local car hire for you if you arrive by train and wish to explore before or after.
Trains: If you don't fancy driving, Orvieto is well connected by a good, fast train service with direct trains from Rome or Florence
Independence: We are well aware that in this day and age, people like to be independent and can slot in a course with us as part of a longer holiday. If you are exploring before or after we can help you with great places to go.
Eating: Locally there are numerous very good trattorie at very reasonable prices where you can dine (typically 20€-30€ with wine for a 3-course meal). Orvieto has been designated a ‘Slow Food City’ a wonderful movement that keeps local food cultures and traditions alive, started as an alternative to industrialised and fast food!